Friday, January 21, 2011

4 Hour Frenzy

11:45pm Saturday the stabbing pains began. Contractions that is and they were pretty strong and close together from the start. They were only 2 minutes apart and lasting a minute long. I laid there for a half hour enduring the pain wondering if I was making myself have them or if I was making them worse in my head then they really were. I finally woke up Alex and we continued to track them for about 20 minutes. We decided that packing a bag would be a good idea since I hadn't already and this actually might be the real thing. So as quickly as possible, since contractions were getting worse, we stuffed a few things in a bag and called the neighbors. There was no answer and so I called my parents. They arrived as soon as they could, which seemed like forever, and then we were off to the hospital.

The ride to the hospital was the longest, worst ride of my life! My water broke in the car at the hospital but luckily didn't make a big mess, but it did make my contractions that much worse. Alex wheeled me into the lobby where I had to sign papers through the pain and tears. They then got me upstairs a little after 1am and there they checked my progress. I was only dilated to a 3.5/4 but since my water broke they admitted me.

They took me to room 472 (which is the same exact room my nephew Collin was born in) and got me situated in bed. My nurse came in and introduced herself, got me all hooked up to monitors and got my IV ready. She tried giving me my IV twice in my left arm before calling another nurse who tried twice in my right arm and finally got it. After that they could finally call someone for the epidural. All this time my contractions are getting stronger and stronger! The guy giving me my epidural tried 5 different times to get it right and let me tell you I was about to kill him. I was shaking uncontrollably, having the hardest contractions ever and trying to handle the pain of a huge needle in my back. Needles to say it is the worst thing I have ever endured and really don't know how I survived. Actually I do know! My husband is amazing! The whole time he is right there comforting me and helping me breath. I think I almost broke his hand several times squeezing so hard, but he is tough and didn't complain.

After the epidural was set and working, the nurse checked my progress again and sure enough I was at a 8/9 and it was time to call the doctor. It is about 3am at this point and I am finally comfortable. When my doctor arrived it was time to push and Landon was born 20 minutes later! The actual delivery was fantastic and I had awesome support. My mom and Alex were great!

The cord was wrapped around Landon's neck, but he let out the most amazing sound in the world shortly after coming out! Our little healthy man was born at 3:46am, only four hours after starting contractions at home.

 Labor this go around was much different than last. Shorter, harder, and more painful, but had the same amazing outcome. We love our little man so much and are so glad he is finally here! We were released from the hospital only 18 hours after arriving. It took some persuading to make it happen, and they asked if we were trying to set records or something, but I really just wanted to go home to my own bed. I am glad to no longer be pregnant and finally be able to hold this sweet gift from our heavenly father in my arms.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

He is beautiful guys! Congrats! Two kids are way more fun than one. Once he gets a little older and they can play they get pretty entertaining.

Beth and Wes said...

Yeah usually the second time around is easier than the first!! Congrats he's adorable!! Wes and I will being having one in May!!

Jon and Maryanne said...

Congrats!!! He is Beautiful!!! :)